Local 839 is formed, 1947-1952
In 1947, the year that Walt Disney testified that the Screen Cartoonists Guild was taking orders from Moscow, the Guild’s executive board included Disney master animators Ken O’Brien, Ollie Johnston, Les Clark and Eric Larson; also MGM animator Michael Lah and Warners great “Bobe” Cannon.
After breaking the CSU, the studios and the IATSE cooperated with the anti-communist “witch hunters” to break the Screen Cartoonists Guild. In 1951 the cartoonists at Disney, Warners and Lantz voted to join the IATSE, and Locals 839 (L. A.) and 841 (New York) were chartered in 1952.
The Guild continued as an independent union, gradually shrinking until they merged with the Teamsters in 1971.