The Animation Guild offers Advisory Opinions on O-1 and/or O-2 Immigration Visa applications for artists doing work in job categories we cover under our collective agreements.
Send Submissions To:
VISA ADVISORY OPINION REQUEST
Attn: Steve Kaplan, Business Representative
The Animation Guild
1105 N Hollywood Way
Burbank, CA 91505
While we typically would not accept electronic submissions of the application materials, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will start accepting them as of April 1, 2020. Please see below for our document requirements. Please send the packet to firstname.lastname@example.org
There is a $350 fee payable to The Animation Guild for companies not signed to an Animation Guild or IATSE agreement. The Animation Guild does not charge fees for opinion requests from signed companies. This payment is accepted by check mailed via the US Postal Service or by wire transfer. Please do not use courier services like FedEx or UPS during the pandemic, as we cannot guarantee they will be received. If you prefer to pay via wire transfer, please indicate so in your letter and we will provide the wire information.
Turn Around Time
Typical advisory opinion requests take five business days to complete, however processing may now take longer due to the health crisis. We do not expedite. Completed requests will be returned via e-mail and U.S. Postal Service to the requesting attorney.
Mandatory Advisory Opinion Documents
It is important that you include the following documents in your submission. Submissions missing these documents will take longer to process or may be rejected. O-1 packets should not exceed more than 50 pages total.
- Previous advisory opinions, if available
- Signed I-129 Form
- Signed Petitioner’s Letter to the USCIS on Company Letterhead
- Signed Deal Memo and/or Contract
- Background (resume, work experience, credits, awards, etc.)
We follow the criteria set forth by USCIS when evaluating evidence. The USCIS website describing O-1 and O-2 visas may be found here:
DO NOT SEND:
- Contracts or documents for which we are not the appropriate organization – e.g., do not submit contracts or documents for print or runway models, live theater, conventions, radio or anything else that is not for artists doing work in job categories we cover under our collective agreements;
- Contracts for past work;
- Passport or visa copies, tax forms, SEC filings, etc.;
- Illegible documents;
- IMDBs about productions or other persons. Limit the IMDB to the beneficiary’s personal listing only;
- Script treatments, press or synopsis of the upcoming production(s);
- Press about past productions that do not specifically mention the beneficiary and the beneficiary’s skills (more than just a cast listing);
- Press or bios about the petitioner or third parties such as other cast or crew. Limit press to the beneficiary only;
- Red carpet photos, location photos, celebrity party photos, photos without an accompanying written article on the same page;
- Headshots, glamour shots, fashion shots or portfolios;
- Magazine covers. We want the story, do not include the cover;
- Wikipedia printouts;
- Tabloid or “gossip” press, “teen” press, press that does not highlight job skills;
- Call sheets, pay sheets or cast lists;
- YouTube, Vimeo or other website video screenshots or printouts;
- Facebook, Twitter, any other social media;
- Any “official” websites (beneficiary, petitioner or 3rd party);
- Memberships, school records or diplomas;
Please feel free to email email@example.com with any questions or concerns regarding your submission. You can also call the Guild at (818) 845-7500 during normal business hours.