Wrapping up a project without a new job lined up can be a stressful time for members. We have compiled a list of resources and actions you can take to help you during this time.
- Make sure you’re signed up to receive job posts. Are you receiving our job post emails? If not, sign up for the mailing list or check your preferences to make sure you have opted in to job posts at https://animationguild.org/about-the-guild/email-list/.
- Join the Discord server. The Animation Guild Discord server has a #looking-for-job channel where you can share your availability. If you haven’t joined the Discord group, email us to get an invitation link.
- File for unemployment. Visit https://edd.ca.gov to begin processing your unemployment claim. If you have any questions regarding the job classification changes, you can review the TAG information page and video at https://animationguild.org/new-changes-to-the-california-unemployment/.
- Consider putting your membership on honorable withdrawal. While you are out of work, you have the option to put your membership on hold by taking an honorable withdrawal. Send an email to email@example.com to start the process or learn more.
- Know your dismissal pay rights. Depending on the length of time you’ve worked at the company, you may be entitled to dismissal pay. Learn more about what you can expect here: https://animationguild.org/dismissal-pay-what-you-need-to-know/
- Sharpen your skills. While you’re looking for work, consider sharpening your skills by taking advantage of free training opportunities. Our partnership with EIDO includes free courses on storyboarding, After Effects and more. Visit https://animationguild.org/sharpen-your-skills/ for more details. Or sign up for free access to LinkedIn Learning, a perk offered through the IATSE Training Trust. Learn more at https://www.iatsetrainingtrust.org/lil.
- Learn to negotiate your deal memo. When a new job comes along, get prepared to negotiate the best deal possible. Start by reading this article to learn a few tips used by pros: https://animationguild.org/negotiating-your-deal-memo .