OPTUM is a program offered through the Motion Picture Industry Pension and Health Plan that includes behavioral health, Member Assistance Program (MAP) and WorkLife services. You only have access to OPTUM if you have chosen MPI PPO as your healthcare provider. If you currently have Kaiser, you DO NOT have access to OPTUM and must use Kaiser as your mental health provider.
For those who do have access to OPTUM, it’s important to know what benefits are available to you and those in your household.
What is MAP?
The Member Assistance Program (MAP) is a suite of services offered to anyone living in your household (not just your dependents) aimed to help you overcome challenges, reach your goals and live your best life. Confidential support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Financial Assistance: Estate planning, debt reduction, bankruptcy, retirement planning and more. You and everyone in your household is eligible for one telephone consultation (30-60 minutes in length) per issue per year.
- Legal Services: Consumer issues, IRS matters, separation and divorces, traffic issues, etc. You and everyone in your household is eligible for one free 30-minute consultation (in person or over the telephone) per issue per year plus ongoing representation at a 25% discounted rate.
- Mediation Services: Child custody, collections, contractual disputes, tenant/landlord issues and more. You and everyone in your household is eligible for one free 30-minute consultation (in person or over the telephone) per issue per year plus ongoing representation at a 25% discounted rate.
- Counseling: You and your dependents have access to five free counseling sessions for each problem every year. A MAP specialist can refer you to a network clinician. This service is a good option for addressing short-term challenges. For longer term needs, a $5 co-pay will be collected after the initial five free visits and there is no limit to the number of sessions per year.
OPTUM vets all legal providers through CLC, a leading provider of legal and financial programs for Employee Assistance (EA) organizations, membership associations, insurance companies and national marketing entities throughout the United States
You can access MAP by calling 888-661-9141 or visiting liveandworkwell.com and using the access code mpiphp.
What can I find on the liveandworkwell.com site?
The website serves as a useful resource, not only to access other OPTUM services, but to educate yourself on various health and wellness subjects. You’ll find more than 5,000 articles, podcasts, webinars and newsletters, plus databases on childcare, eldercare, schools and colleges and more. The site also houses tools for budgeting, a retirement planner, will kits, and customizable plans for reducing stress, quitting smoking and other goals. And, of course, the site allows you to find an in-network clinician and review credentials and certifications.
What are the WorkLife services?
Looking for a contractor? Who needs Angie’s List? The WorkLife services allow you to ask for referrals—OPTUM does the research for you and sends you a list of options. These services are varied, and include:
- Adult/Elder Services: Long distance caregiving, Medicare support, aids to daily living, etc.
- Child/Parenting Services: Camps, childbirth professionals, child care, child development experts, etc.
- Life Learning: College selection, financial aid, music and dance classes, career consulting, etc.
- Chronic Condition Support: Medical suppliers, nutrition assistance, special housing, etc.
- Convenience Services: Dining, entertainment, household needs, shopping, etc.
What services are offered for substance abuse?
Specialized substance use recovery advocates are available 24/7 at 855-780-5955 and through live chat at liveandworkwell.com and receive immediate provider referrals, including identifying local, in-network facilities, if necessary. OPTUM has also recently rolled out online Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy.
What is TalkSpace?
TalkSpace is an app that can be used as an alternative or in addition to face-to-face therapy. A digital provider matching tool gives you access to more than 4,000 licensed providers across the United States. You can send texts, audio or video messages and receive responses daily, five days a week. Or you can schedule real-time video sessions as needed. With the app, you can begin therapy within hours of selecting a provider.
What if I want to see an out-of-network therapist?
You are eligible to seek services from an out-of-network provider; however, you will only receive partial coverage of the services. Additionally, most out-of-network providers will ask you to pay upfront and you will need to request repayment by submitting an OPTUM claim.